Stuff to read:
• Local filmmaker Jay Bulger has put together a documentary about . The film, Blind Faith and Cream drummer Ginger Baker Beware of Mr. Baker, will debut at SXSW later this month, and the Washington Post article linked above is an interesting profile of how Bulger weaseled his way into Baker’s life.
• Interview: Julyssa Lopez talks to Alex Even of [Washingtonian]. White Rabbits’ latest album White Rabbits was released yesterday; the band plays the Milk Famous Black Cat tonight.
• Interview: Reese Higgins talks to [Washington CityPaper]. Zachary Cole Smith of Dive and Beach Fossils
• The Huffington Post has a nice article about and its trip to SXSW. Listen Local First
• Heavy Uber Alles brings us 6 heavy tunes every Tuesday. This week, HUA let readers suggest songs and has 14 videos to share, with varying degrees of heaviness.
• Preview: [All Things Go]. Niki & the Dove at the U St Music Hall on 3/8
• Live Reviews: Justin Duckham on [the Vinyl District]. Craig Finn at the Rock & Roll Hotel Anne Midgette on [Washington Post]. Matthias Goerne at the Kennedy Center’s Terrace Theatre Metal Chris on [DCHeavyMetal.com]. Windhand, Ilsa, Natur, Pilgrim, and Satan’s Satyrs at St Stephen’s We Love DC on . Young Prisms, Boy Friend, and Ceremony at DC9
• Here’s a song from [Washington CityPaper]. the Cubs, “Ashlei”
• WQXR has this podcast about plagiarism in classical music, featuring the Washington Post’s Anne Midgette. You may remember this blog post by Midgette we posted a few weeks ago about composer Osvaldo Golijov.
Stuff to win:
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to ( Fanfarlo at the U Street Music Hall on 3/7 ). contest ends today at noon
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of . Winner must have a North American mailing address ( Nirvana‘s Nevermind on vinyl ). contest ends today
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see (contest ends Thursday 3/8 at noon). Polyphonic Spree at 6th & I on 5/21
• DCHeavyMetal.com is giving away a pair of tickets to see (contest ends Friday 3/9 at 5 PM). Rammstein at 1st Mariner on 4/25 and a pair of tickets to see Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/30
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of . Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 3/13). Loney Dear‘s Hall Music on vinyl
Posted in Music Notes |
Tagged Beach Fossils, Blind Faith, Boy Friend, Ceremony, Craig Finn, Cream, Dive, Ginger Baker, Ilsa, Jay Bulger, Listen Local First, Matthias Goerne, Natur, Niki & the Dove, Osvaldo Golijov, Pilgrim, Satan's Satyrs, the Cubs, White Rabbits, Windhand, Young Prisms, Zachary Cole Smith |
Thanks for another great week, folks! Enjoy your weekend, and remember that you can add this blog to your RSS feed using the link http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed
Press about shows for the week (and month) ahead:
• Overall preview guides: WashPost’s Going Out Guide serves up March’s best concerts. Washingtonian’s weekend picks. TBD’s weekend planner for shows at deceptive venues. the Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist, March 1-7.
• Interview: Allison Stewart talks to [Washington Post]. The band plays Corrosion of Conformity‘s Mike Dean Sonar tonight.
• Preview: [the Vinyl District] – at the Soul Train Don Cornelius Tribute Party Black Cat tonight.
• Preview: [the Vinyl District] – at the Craig Finn Rock & Roll Hotel tonight.
• CD Review: Geoffrey Himes on ‘s new album Anais Mitchell [Washington Post]. Performing tonight at Young Man in America Jammin’ Java.
• Preview: [Washington CityPaper] – at Ilsa St Stephen’s on Saturday.
• Preview: [Washington CityPaper] – at the Korallreven Black Cat on Monday 3/5.
• CD Review: Mike Joyce on ‘s new album Ruthie Foster [Washington Post]. Performing Tuesday 3/6 at the Let It Burn Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.
• CD Review: Brandon Weigel on ‘s upcoming album Oberhofer [Washington Post]. Performing Tuesday 3/6 at the Time Capsules II Black Cat.
• CD Review: Catherine Lewis on ‘s new album Jennifer O’Connor [Washington Post]. Performing Wednesday 3/7 at the I Want What You Want Velvet Lounge.
• CD Review: Geoffrey Himes on ‘s album Fanfarlo [Washington Post]. Performing Wednesday 3/7 at the Rooms Filled With Light U Street Music Hall.
• Preview: [Washington CityPaper] – at the DC Improv on Thursday 3/8. Todd Glass
Other things to read:
• Punk news: [the Washington CityPaper] All About Friends Forever
• the Washington Post did a profile on the (non-comprehensive) concert listing site . (The writers of this piece were unaware that DC Decibel ShowlistDC was founded long before DC Decibel.).
• Anne Midgette on stealing in classical music. “[ Osvaldo] Golijov has actually been incorporating the work of composer friends in his own pieces for years, with their permission and blessing, at first out of what appeared to be a fascination with juxtaposing different styles and voices in one piece (“La Pasion segun San Marcos”) and, more recently, because he seems to have a hard time meeting his deadlines and ends up doing a lot of things at the 11th hour.”
• Anne Midgette on Baltimore Symphony Orchestra hosting the . [Washington Post] Women of the World festival
• Live reviews: Chris Richards on [Washington Post]. Lauryn Hill at the Warner Theatre Anne Midgette on the [Washington Post]. Vienna Philaharmonic at the Kennedy Center the Rogers Revue on . Lily Tomlin at Strathmore
• the Washington CityPaper points us to a new . These United States tune, “Dead and Gone”
• the Washington CityPaper also points us to new music from , whose new EP comes out on Vibrations Records in April. Protect-U
Stuff to win:
• Sweet Tea Pumpkin Pie has tickets to ( Lights at the 9:30 Club on 3/5 and Gomez at the 9:30 Club on 3/12 ). contest ends today at 5 PM
• DCHeavyMetal.com is giving away a pair of tickets to see ( Marilyn Manson at the Fillmore Silver Spring on 5/1 ). contest ends today at 5 PM
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Mont Carmel’s . Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Monday 3/5). Real Women on vinyl
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Pink Floyd’s . Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 3/6). The Wall on vinyl
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Nirvana’s . Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 3/7). Nevermind on vinyl
Posted in Music Notes, Weekend Planner |
Tagged Anais Mitchell, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Corrosion of Conformity, Craig Finn, DC Decibel, Don Cornelius, Fanfarlo, Ilsa, Jennifer O'Connor, Korallreven, Lauryn Hill, Lily Tomlin, Oberhofer, Osvaldo Golijov, Protect-U, Ruthie Foster, These United States, Todd Glass, Vienna Philharmonic, Women of the World festival |
It’s been a week of these
Music Notes. Are you liking the feature? Send me an email ( firstname.lastname@example.org) and let me know what you think! Also remember that you can add this blog to your RSS feed with http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/ . Have a great weekend!
Things to read:
• Black Tambourine wants to record an EP of Ramones songs, and they’ve set up a Kickstarter to do so. If that’s not enough Black Tambourine in your life, remember that they’re playing the 20th anniversary show in April at Chickfactor Artisphere ( buy tickets, if you’re so inclined).
• Geoffrey Himes interviews . Stanley performs this weekend at the Ralph Stanley in the Washington Post Hylton Performing Arts Center in Manassas.
• Steve Aoki talks to the Washington Post about his music and also mentions Fugazi. Aoki is in Silver Spring at the Fillmore on Saturday.
• the Vinyl District continues its . Gold Leaf Studios retrospective
• the Washington CityPaper’s Spring Arts Guide.
• What to do this weekend and the following week ahead: The Vinyl District suggests . Mark Jenkins Cate Le Bon and Marian Fahey McLaughlin at DC9 on Sunday, 12 February also reviews Cate Le Bon for the Washington Post. TBD.com tells you about shows at unusual venues. Washingtonian offers picks for the next 7 days.
• Also reviewed in the Washington Post: Jess Righthand on Nicholas Payton ‘s album (tonight at the Bitches Kennedy Center). Catherine Lewis on O’Brother‘s album (Thursday at Garden Window DC9). Jess Righthand on the Robert Glasper Experiment album (Thursday at Black Radio Strathmore).
• If you’re not sick of hearing about the sold-out Sharon van Etten show by now, the Washington Post has now reviewed opener Shearwater’s new album, (scroll down below the excellent SVE article). Animal Joy
• If you’re going to place your vote in November based on the candidates’ musical tastes, then you can thank the Washington Post for pointing you to the campaign playlists of Obama and Romney. (Seriously? Slow news day, apparently….)
• Live reviews: George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic at the 9:30 club reviewed by Dulani Wallace [the Vinyl District] and Erica Bruce [Washington CityPaper]. We Love DC on . Thurston Moore and Kurt Vile at the Black Cat Marlene Hall on [Huffington Post]. the Kills at the 9:30 Club
• Bonus reading: this is not at all music-related, but we love a good vegan bakery, and Express has a nice interview with Doron Petersan of Sticky Fingers, in advance of her new cookbook , which comes out later this month. Petersan is doing a reading/Q&A at Sticky Fingers’ Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes 6th & I on March 1st.
Things to listen to and/or watch:
• No tickets to tomorrow’s sold-out Sharon Van Etten show at the Black Cat? NPR brings you her World Cafe performance.
• Local rap duo DTMD released a video for “Raw” [Washington CityPaper]
• Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn did a Tiny Desk Concert at the NPR offices.
• DCHeavyMetal.com has tickets to , both at the Fillmore in Silver Spring ( Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost (5/9) and Meshuggah/Baroness/Decapitated (5/22) ). contest ends today at 4 PM
• ShowlistDC has tickets to ( Mos Def at the 9:30 Club on 2/20 ). contest ends today at 5 PM
• Heavy Uber Alles has tickets to (contest ends Monday 2/13 at noon) Iced Earth at the 9:30 Club on 3/13
• The Vinyl District has a copy of . Winner must have a North American mailing address. (contest ends Tuesday 2/14) Of Montreal‘s Paralytic Stalks on yellow vinyl
Posted in Music Notes, Weekend Planner |
Tagged Barack Obama, Black Tambourine, Cate Le Bon, Craig Finn, DTMD, George CLinton, Gold Leaf Studios, Mitt Romney, Nicholas Payton, O'Brother, Ralph Stanley, Robert Glasper Experiment, Sharon van Etten, Shearwater, Steve Aoki, the Kills, Thurston Moore |