Stuff to read:
• Local filmmaker Jay Bulger has put together a documentary about Blind Faith and Cream drummer Ginger Baker. The film, Beware of Mr. Baker, will debut at SXSW later this month, and the Washington Post article linked above is an interesting profile of how Bulger weaseled his way into Baker’s life.
• Interview: Julyssa Lopez talks to Alex Even of White Rabbits [Washingtonian]. White Rabbits’ latest album Milk Famous was released yesterday; the band plays the Black Cat tonight.
• Interview: Reese Higgins talks to Zachary Cole Smith of Dive and Beach Fossils [Washington CityPaper].
• The Huffington Post has a nice article about Listen Local First and its trip to SXSW.
• Heavy Uber Alles brings us 6 heavy tunes every Tuesday. This week, HUA let readers suggest songs and has 14 videos to share, with varying degrees of heaviness.
• Preview: Niki & the Dove at the U St Music Hall on 3/8 [All Things Go].
• Live Reviews: Justin Duckham on Craig Finn at the Rock & Roll Hotel [the Vinyl District]. Anne Midgette on Matthias Goerne at the Kennedy Center’s Terrace Theatre [Washington Post]. Metal Chris on Windhand, Ilsa, Natur, Pilgrim, and Satan’s Satyrs at St Stephen’s [DCHeavyMetal.com]. We Love DC on Young Prisms, Boy Friend, and Ceremony at DC9.
• Here’s a song from the Cubs, “Ashlei” [Washington CityPaper].
• WQXR has this podcast about plagiarism in classical music, featuring the Washington Post’s Anne Midgette. You may remember this blog post by Midgette we posted a few weeks ago about composer Osvaldo Golijov.
Stuff to win:
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to Fanfarlo at the U Street Music Hall on 3/7 (contest ends today at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Nirvana‘s Nevermind on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see Polyphonic Spree at 6th & I on 5/21 (contest ends Thursday 3/8 at noon).
• DCHeavyMetal.com is giving away a pair of tickets to see Rammstein at 1st Mariner on 4/25 and a pair of tickets to see Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/30 (contest ends Friday 3/9 at 5 PM).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Loney Dear‘s Hall Music on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 3/13).