Hey all – I’m (finally) back on the grid. Thanks so much for all of your feedback and words of encouragement after my request for feedback last week! I’m still working out what direction these Music Notes should take, but I think that my plan is to publish twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays) through the end of August, then decide how frequently to publish in September going forward. I’ve also gotten some requests to send these Music Notes out as a daily email, for those who don’t use RSS, so I’ll be working on that too. So stay tuned! And remember that any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome, either by posting a comment here or via email, email@example.com. Thanks for reading!
• Washingtonian’s music picks.
• DCist’s This Week in Jazz.
• Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist.
• DCist’s This Week in Hip-Hop.
• DC Music Download’s Weekend Hits.
• DC Music Download’s roundup of music fundraising events.
• ShowlistDC’s list of recently-added and changed shows.
Today – Friday, 17 August
• Preview/interview: Stephen Deusner talks to Lorelei. Tonight at the Black Cat. It’s the CD release show for their new album Enterprising Sidewalks, which has been reviewed all over this week: by Joe Warminsky [Washington CityPaper], by Mark Jenkins [Washington Post], and by Lindsay Zoladz [Pitchfork].
• Two previews/interviews on Christian Scott: Sriram Gopal [DCist] and by Marie Gullard [Washington Examiner]. There’s also a CD review of Scott’s new album Christian aTunde Adjuah, reviewed by Geoffrey Himes [Washington Post]. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at Bohemian Caverns.
• Preview/interview: Rudi Greenberg on the Dirty Projectors [Washington Post Express]. Friday and Saturday nights at the 9:30 Club. You can listen to Friday’s concert from home, courtesy of NPR.
Saturday, 18 August
• Preview/Interview: Marie Gullard on Lori Williams [Washington Times]. At Blues Alley.
• Preview/Interview: Emily Cary on Charles Covington Jr. [Washington Times]. At the Kennedy Center‘s Millennium Stage.
• Preview: Nancy Dunham on Mary Chapin Carpenter [Washington Times]. At Wolf Trap.
Sunday, 19 August
• CD Review: Boo Hanks and Don Flemons, Buffalo Junction. Reviewed by Geoffrey Himes [Washington Post]. At the Hamilton.
• Preview: Nancy Dunham on Alan Jackson [Washington Times]. At Wolf Trap.
Monday, 20 August
Wednesday, 22 August
• CD Review: Shovels and Rope, O’ Be Joyful. Reviewed by Catherine P Lewis [Washington Post]. At the Hamilton.
• Preview: Christopher Porter on Andrew Morgan [Washington CityPaper]. At the U Street Music Hall.
• Local venue news: Enterprise Jazz Club will move from its current spot on Georgia Ave NW to an as-yet-to-be-determined new location [Washington CityPaper].
• Local venue news: the Kennedy Center got a new organ [Washington Post].
• Anne Midgette on neglected composers whose work is rediscovered on CD [Washington Post]. Midgette also rounds up readers’ responses to her piece.
• RIP TBD.com. The URL now forwards to WJLA.com [Washington Post].
• Archie Moore from Black Tambourine remembers Yesterday & Today and Vinyl Ink [the Vinyl District].
• Interview: Steve Kiviat talks to the Very Best [Washington CityPaper].
• Interview: Sriram Gopal talks to Emmylou Harris [DCist].
• Interview: Valerie Paschall talks to Shark Week [DCist].
• Interview: ChunkyGlasses.com’s Q&A with the Milk Carton Kids.
• Chris Porter on Chain & the Gang [Washington Post Express].
• Song review: David Malitz on Taylor Swift, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” [Washington Post].
• Book reviews: Michael Lindgren on Go-go Live: The Musical Life and Death of a Chocolate City by Natalie Hopkinson and The Dozens: A History of Rap’s Mama by Elijah Wald [Washington Post].
• Here’s a roundup of Hometown Sounds DC’s local music videos of the day:
– Eva Cassidy, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (8/16)
– Heavy Breathing, “U the One I Want” (8/15)
– Uptown XO, “Errybody” (8/14)
– Head-Roc, “Black Love Superstars” (8/13)
– Tabi Bonney, “On Jupiter” (8/10)
• Here’s a roundup of DCist’s music videos of the day:
– Deep Time, “Clouds” (8/16)
– Imperial China, “Redux” (8/15)
– Marina and the Diamonds, “How To Be a Heartbreaker” (8/14)
– Skrillex, “First of the Year (Equinox)” (8/13)
– Sebadoh, “Keep the Boy Alive” (8/10)
• New local music video: Heavy Breathing, “U the One I Want” [DC Music Download].
• New local music video: Tabi Bonney, “Top Notch Material Girls” [Washington CityPaper].
• New local music video: X.O., “Errybody” [Washington CityPaper].
• Music video: Kane Mayfield, “Beautiful Drug” [Washington CityPaper]. The song is from his new Rhymes By Kane: Thievery Corporation Edition.
• Listen to some new tunes from the Dismemberment Plan [DCist].
• The Zombies stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
• Listen: Hometown Sounds DC’s podcast for 8/12/12.
• Listen: DC Music Download’s August 2012 podcast features favorite local tracks and concerts from 2012 so far.
• Listen: K-BETA, “Pakistan” [Washington CityPaper].
• Listen: Kev Brown, “Ode to South Africa” [Washington CityPaper].
• Watch: Maimouna Youssef, “Meet Me in Brazil” [Washington CityPaper].
• Brandon Wu’s photos of I:Scintilla at Spellbound DC [Washington CityPaper].
• Stephen Bradley on John Heart Jackie at the Velvet Lounge [Washington Times].
• Stephen Bradley on Pomegranates at DC9 [Washington Times].
• Valerie Paschall on the crazy things that Travis Morrison said during the Dismemberment Plan shows last weekend [DCist].
• David Hintz on Stereosleep and the Resistance at the Black Cat, 8/14/12 [DC Rock Live].
• We Love DC on Linkin Park at Jiffy Lube Live, 8/11/12.
• ChunkyGlasses.com on Lyle Lovett and his Acoustic Group at Wolf Trap, 8/12/12.
• Baynard Woods on Janes Adiction at the Lyric in Baltimore [Baltimore CityPaper].
• Here’s the setlist from Aloe Blacc‘s show at the 9:30 Club, 8/10/12 [930club.tumblr.com].
• Stephanie Taylor on ABBA at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Denise A Levien on the Temptations and the Four Tops at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Denise A Levien on Steve Miller Band at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Brian Ossip on System of a Down and Deftones at the Verizon Center [DC Music Live].
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away an autographed copy of 10 Years‘s Minus the Machine. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to the Dirty Projectors at the 9:30 Club, 8/18 (contest ends today at noon).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to the Rockstar UPROAR festival with Shinedown, Godsmack, Staind, Papa Roach, and more. Show is at Jiffy Lube Live on 9/2 (no indication of when this giveaway ends).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to Ben Harper‘s acoustic show at Wolf Trap on 9/4 (contest ends 8/26).
• DC101 is giving away front row tickets to DC101′s Kerfuffle with the Offspring, Sublime, Rome, Garbage, etc., at Jiffy Lube Live on 9/15 (contest ends 9/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).