[FYI: Music Notes will be quiet tomorrow for the July 4th holiday, but we'll be back on Thursday, 7/5.]
Today’s New Releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• Chris Brown: Fortune
. Reviewed by Sarah Godfrey
[Washington Post] and Andrew Leahey
• Beachwood Sparks: the Tarnished Gold. Reviewed by David Malitz [Washington Post].
• Flo Rida: Wild Ones. Reviewed by Bill Friskics-Warren [Washington Post] and Andrew Leahey [Washington Times]. At the Verizon Center on 7/25.
• Milk Maid: Mostly No. Reviewed by Zach Kelly [Pitchfork].
• Planning Guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda
. Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Nightlife Agenda
• Here’s a super-cool video interview with Paul Vodra of Hometown Sounds DC [via K Street Kate's The District Dish]. If you’re not familiar with Hometown Sounds DC, it’s a 24-hour radio station playing music from the DC area, broken up by genre (lounge, punk, rock, twang, dance, and urban; the hours for each can be found on Hometown Sounds’s home page). You can listen to Hometown Sounds DC via streamlicensing.com. Hometown Sounds DC also posts a daily DC music video which we re-post every day in our “Listening” section below.
• Interview: Metallomusikum talks to Lita Ford (audio).
• Interview: Metallomusikum talks to Murp (Q&A text).
• RIP soprano Evelyn Lear [Washington Post]. There is also this obituary, written by Emily Langer.
• Hungry? DC Music Download ranks its top 5 places in DC for brunch and music.
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Scissor Sisters, “Let’s Have a Kiki”
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is Vegas With Randolph, “Supergirl”.
• Local music video: DC stoner metal band Borracho just released a video for “All In Play” [Youtube].
• Another local music video: Maryland djent band Periphery has unveiled a video for “Make Total Destroy” [Blabbermouth].
• Listen: Tabi Bonney and Raheem DeVaughn‘s “Need a Girl” [Washington CityPaper].
• Listen: Exitmusic stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
• Download: The Vinyl District’s Press Play.
• Joan Reinthaler on the Catalan tribute to Joan Miro at the National Gallery of Art [Washington Post].
• Charles T Downey on the Serenade! choral festival, originally scheduled for Strathmore but relocated to the National Presbyterian Church due to the storms [Washington Post].
• Shona Fenner on Exitmusic with Stagnant Pools at the Red Palace [Brightest Young Things].
• Kara Capelli on The Head and the Heart at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Andy J on Japandroids with Cadence Weapon at the Rock & Roll Hotel [Brightest Young Things].
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Lita Ford‘s Living Like a Runaway on vinyl
. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today
• The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to Henry Rollins at the 9:30 Club on 11/5
(contest ends today
The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of George Harrison‘s Early Takes Volume 1 on vinyl
(contest ends Monday 7/9).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29
(contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28
(contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7
(contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10
(contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11
(contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30
(no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/