We love DC’s rich local music scene, and we’re particularly excited about local stoner rock/metal band Borracho‘s 7-inch release party for “Mob Gathering“, which is happening at the Velvet Lounge on U Street on Thursday, 28 March 2013. Luckily for all of you, ShowlistDC is giving away two pairs of tickets AND two copies of this new 7″– that’s right, there will be TWO winners for this giveaway, and each of them will be able to check out this show (with a guest) and take home a piece of Borracho vinyl for free. What a great deal!
All you have to do to enter is leave a comment on this post telling me what you’d be doing on this Thursday night if you don’t go out to the show– we know it’s March Madness, and there are probably some so-called “must-see” TV shows that you’ll probably DVR anyway, but let’s hear what you’d be up to if you don’t go check out this show! I’ll pick the TWO winners at random (using random.org) on Wednesday, 20 March at midnight Eastern. Be sure to use a valid email address when you enter, so I can contact you if you win (and don’t worry: your email address won’t be posted publicly when you comment on this entry and won’t be added to any sort of mailing list). If you’re a hotmail user, please add email@example.com to your address book or no-spam list, as other hotmail users have had problems with emails from us not getting through. Also note that we ask winners to respond within 24 hours, or else we will pick another winner, so make sure to check your email regularly!
Borracho has been around since 2007, and they have that stoner metal/Southern rock sound that’s in the same vein as bands like Clutch, Down, and Fu Manchu. They released their first album, Splitting Sky in 2011, and it’s full of killer riffs, catchy hooks, and urgent vocals (I reviewed the album for the Washington Post; you can read my review here). Borracho has been working on recordings for their next album, but in the meantime, they dusted off two early recordings from 2009 and polished them off for this 7″. They don’t sound at all like demos, though– they’re as good as the rest of the band’s material, and you can take a listen via the player below!
As if that weren’t enough, this show features two other great stoner metal bands, Austria’s Been Obscene (this is their FIRST time in the US!) and Pittsburgh’s stoner/doom band SuperVoid. If you’re at all into stoner rock/metal, this show is not to be missed! So let me know what you’re usually up to on a Thursday night if you’re not out catching some live music, and I’ll pick TWO winners, each of whom will get a pair of tickets for the show AND a copy of Borracho’s shiny new 7″.
If you come across this post after the contest has closed, or if you’re not the lucky winner, then you can pick up tickets for $8 at the Velvet Lounge on the day of the show, and Borracho will have copies of their 7″ (plus other merch, of course!) for sale at the show.
• RIP Vance Bockis, DC punk/metal musician of the bands The Obsessed, The Factory, 9353, and Pentagram [Washington CityPaper]. Larger story by Neal Augenstein [WTOP]. We assume that The Factory’s 9/29 show with Kix at the Howard Theatre will be cancelled.
• Interview: Stephanie Williams’ Q&A with Bravenoise [DC Music Download].
• Interview: David Hintz talks to Mary Bridget Davies [DC Rock Live]. She’s starring in the musical One Night with Janis Joplin at the Arena Stage’s Kreeger Theater from September 28th to November 4th.
• Local media news: Washington Times founder Rev. Sun Myung Moondied at age 92 [DCist].
• Here’s a super-cool video interview with Paul Vodra of Hometown Sounds DC [via K Street Kate's The District Dish]. If you’re not familiar with Hometown Sounds DC, it’s a 24-hour radio station playing music from the DC area, broken up by genre (lounge, punk, rock, twang, dance, and urban; the hours for each can be found on Hometown Sounds’s home page). You can listen to Hometown Sounds DC via streamlicensing.com. Hometown Sounds DC also posts a daily DC music video which we re-post every day in our “Listening” section below.
• Interview: Metallomusikum talks to Lita Ford (audio).
• Interview: Metallomusikum talks to Murp (Q&A text).