Today’s New Releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• the Beach Boys: That’s Why God Made the Radio – Reviewed by Andrew Leahey [the Washington Times]. At Merriweather Post Pavilion on 6/15.
• Curren$y: The Stoned Immaculate – Reviewed by Sarah Godfrey [Washington Post]. Tonight at Empire.
• Kelly Hogan: I Like To Keep Myself In Pain – Reviewed by Bill Friskics-Warren [Washington Post]. Hogan opens for Neko Case at Rams Head Live in Baltimore on 7/17.
• Alan Jackson: Thirty Miles West – Reviewed by Chris Richards [Washington Post]. At Wolf Trap on 8/19.
• Oddisee: Odd Renditions Vol. 001 EP – Reviewed by Joe Colly [Pitchfork].
• Patti Smith: Banga – Reviewed by Allison Stewart [Washington Post]. Smith and her band open for Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Patriot Center on 11/30.
• Mina Tindle: Taranta – Reviewed by Lindsay Zoladz [Pitchfork].
• Westmain: Glamour Fades – Reviewed by Gregory Ayers [DC Music Download].
• Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Americana – Reviewed by Andrew Leahey [the Washington Times]. Performing at the Patriot Center on 11/30.
• Planning guides: Brightest Young Things’ shows to get pumped for this week
• Local band news: Maryland djent band Periphery‘s new single “Make Total Destroy” is available on iTunes. You can also listen to it on youtube. The new album Periphery II is out 7/3/12 on Sumerian Records.
• Kwame Brown: If You Don’t Like Go-Go, “Get Over It” [DCist].
• Interview: Giovanni Russonello talks to guitarist Rodney Richardson [CapitalBop]. Performing at the Atlas on Wednesday.
• Interview: the Counting Crows‘ Adam Duritz [the Rogers Revue]. the Counting Crows play Wolf Trap on 6/20.
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Times New Viking‘s “Ever Falling In Love”
• Hometown Sounds DC’s DC music video of the day is These United States, “Get Yourself Home”.
• Maryland djent band Periphery released its new single “Make Total Destroy” today; check out the song on youtube.
• Kelly Hogan stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
• “United We Stand” featuring 30/30, Garvey The Chosen One, Uno Boss, Boobe, Anwan “Big G” Glover, and Mardi Gra [Washington CityPaper].
at the Verizon Center: Reviewed by Chris Richards
[Washington Post] and Jonathan L Fischer
• Stephen Bradley on O’Brother at the Howard Theatre [Washington Times]. The band was opening for Thrice.
• Brian Ossip and Mike Shomaker on The Used at the Fillmore on 5/30 [DC Music Live].
• Michael J West on Tarbaby at the Fridge (CapitalBop’s DC Jazz Loft) [Washington CityPaper].
• Photos from the DC Jazz Festival [WJLA]
• Charles T Downey on the Baltimore Consort at St. Matthew’s Cathedral [Washington Post]. Part of the Washington Early Music Festival.
• Stephanie Breijo on Dawes and Sara Watkins at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Brightest Young Things on Les Nubians at the Hamilton.
• Joy Asico’s photos of City and Colour at Rams Head Live [Brightest Young Things].
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of 2:54‘s S/T on vinyl
(contest ends today
Brightest Young Things is giving away a pair of tickets to see Dengue Fever at the 9:30 Club on 6/6
(there’s no indication of when this giveaway ends).
• Brightest Young Things is giving away a pair of tickets to see Monty Alexander at the Hamilton on 6/9
(contest ends Wednesday 6/6).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see The Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7
(contest ends at noon on Wednesday 6/6).
• Scene Trek is giving away a pair of tickets to The Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7
(contest ends at 3 PM on Wednesday 6/6).
Heavy Uber Alles is giving away a pair of tickets to see Three Bad Jacks at the U St Music Hall on 6/7
(contest ends at 9 PM on Wednesday 6/6).
• Brightest Young Things is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30
(contest ends Thursday 6/7).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29
(contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28
(contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10
(contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/