• Planning guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda and This Week in Hip-Hop. Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Nightlife Agenda.
• No joke: there’s a musical version of The Wire [DCist], brought to you by the folks at FunnyOrDie.com. Warning: if you watch the video, you will want those 4 minutes of your life back.
• the NSO is planning a European tour in January to February of 2013 [Washington Post].
• Strathmore announces its 2012-2013 season [the Rogers Revue].
• Interview: Janet Yaceczko talks to Dean Crawford [DC Music Download].
• Interview: Mike Shomaker and Brian Ossip talk to Dead Sara [DC Music Live].
• Interview: Brightest Young Things talks to Jonny Corndawg. Performing at the Ottobar on 6/20.
• Preview: Emily Cary talks to Andrew Earle Simpson about musical accompaniment to silent films [Washington Examiner]. Simpson is the head of Catholic University of America’s Division of Theory and Composition. His score of the film The Wind is presented with the film at 3 PM Saturday at AFI in Silver Spring.
• Food and music: Bonnie S Benwick on an Eat-and-Greet with Zac Brown at Merriweather Post Pavilion [Washington Post].
• Random: Govinda Gallery remembers a day spent with Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys in May of 1994.
• Local on locals: Christopher Porter writes about Protect-U [Washington Post Express].
• Local band news: Power metal band A Sound of Thunder is working on its new album (including a duet with former Iron Maiden vocalist Blaze Bayley) and plans to launch a Kickstarter campaign in the next few days.
• Local record store Red Onion Records & Books is shutting its doors in September. Store owner Josh Harkavy wrote to his store’s email list: [T]his is not the end of Red Onion… We will continue as a fully functioning record store, just without the store part (for now). I’ll still go out looking for records and stocking new releases, the challenge will be finding new ways to get them to you. We’ll keep doing our emails (on a weekly basis) and work on some sort of mail order/delivery service.
• CD Review: Patti Smith: Banga – Reviewed by Lindsay Zoladz [Pitchfork]. Yesterday we pointed you to Allison Stewart‘s review for the Washington Post.
• CD Review: Black Clouds: Everything Is Not Going To Be OK – Reviewed by Clay Conger [DC Music Download]. Remember that the band is selling its album for a “name-your-own-price” deal on Bandcamp.
• CD Review: Fatz Da Big Fella: Heart of a King – Reviewed by Ramon Ramirez [Washington CityPaper].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Kingdom‘s “Let You No” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s DC music video of the day is Lyriciss, “The Agenda”.
• Quality fan videos from Marduk‘s performance at Sonar on Saturday [Blabbermouth].
• Listen to a new Fort Knox Five remix [DC Music Download].
• Tune-Yards at the 9:30 Club: Reviewed by Andy Hess [DCist] and by Marie Formica [Brightest Young Things].
• Radiohead at the Verizon Center: reviewed by Valerie Paschall [DCist] and Colin Wilhelm [Brightest Young Things].
• Jeb Gavin on Joe Pug at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Olivia Alonso’s photos of Curren$y at the Howard Theatre [Brightest Young Things].
• We Love Music on Switchfoot at 918 F Street on 6/1.
• NEW Maryland Lottery is giving stuff away to people who “like” them on Facebook. This week’s prize is tickets to see the Beach Boys at Merriweather on 6/15.
• Brightest Young Things is giving away a pair of tickets to see Monty Alexander at the Hamilton on 6/9 (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see The Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7 (contest ends today at noon).
• Scene Trek is giving away a pair of tickets to The Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7 (contest ends today at 3 PM).
• Heavy Uber Alles is giving away a pair of tickets to see Three Bad Jacks at the U St Music Hall on 6/7 (contest ends today at 9 PM).
• NEW Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets to the Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7 (no indication of when the contest ends).
• NEW Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets to 3 Bad Jacks at the U St Music Hall on 6/7 (no indication of when the contest ends).
• NEW Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets to Jimmy Cliff at the 9:30 Club on 6/7 (no indication of when the contest ends).
• Brightest Young Things is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (contest ends Thursday 6/7).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/