• Planning Guides: DC Music Live’s Weekly Roundup.
• Have you ever wondered why kids download music? Read Aaron Leitko’s editorial on teens’ buying (or downloading) patterns and consider this: if independent record stores are going away and most high school kids don’t have their own credit cards for buying online, how else are they going to get music? [Washington Post].
• Music book reviews: David Kirby on two Queen books, Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury by Lesley-Ann Jones and 40 Years of Queen by Harry Doherty [Washington Post].
• Josh Sisk’s photos from the last night at Sonar in Baltimore.
• Attn drummers: Baltimore’s Visceral Disgorge is looking for a new drummer [Metal Underground].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Best Coast, “the Only Place” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is YahZarah, “Why Dontcha Call Me No More”.
• Algerian singer/songwriter Souad Massi stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
• Local listening: Clone of Clones, “the Neighborhood Song” [DC Music Download].
• Download or stream: a podcast of Hometown Sounds DC-selected songs.
• Stephen Brookes on pianist Gloria Cheng at the University of Maryland’s Gildenhorn Recital Hall, 7/13/12 [Washington Post].
• Michael J West on jazz bassist Tarus Mateen at the Bohemian Caverns, 7/10/12 [Washington Post].
• Stephen Bradley on Novalima at the U Street Music Hall [Washington Times].
• David Hintz on Alberta Cross, Everest, and Aaron Lee Tasjan at the Rock & Roll Hotel [DC Rock Live].
• David Hintz on Baby Grand, Sinnet, and Presto Bando at the Velvet Lounge, 7/13/12 [DC Rock Live].
• David Hintz on Blankus Larry, Guantanamo Baywatch, and Sad Bones at Comet Ping Pong, 7/14/12 [DC Rock Live].
• Bill Ayers on Barenaked Ladies, Big Head Todd, and Cracker at Wolf Trap [Reel Film News].
• Lauren Bulbin on Neon Trees and Penguin Prison at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Marie Eff on Barenaked Ladies at Wolf Trap [Brightest Young Things]. Today in bad editing, this review starts with the following sentence: “Click here for a playtlist of BNL’s set at Wolf Trap”. What the hell is a playtlist?!
• Guitars at Chucks is giving away a pair of tickets to Santana and the Allman Brothers Band at Merriweather Post Pavilion (contest ends today).
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of the English Beat, Keep the Beat: the Very Best of the English Beat on CD(!). Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 7/17).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a signed copy of Japandroids‘ Celebration Rock. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 7/17).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Thin Lizzy‘s self-titled debut reissue on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 7/18).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/