• Chuck Brown, Godfather of Go-Go, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. Obituaries and rememberances by Clinton Yates [Washington Post], Stephen A Crockett Jr [Washington Post], Martin Austermuhle [DCist], Jacob Ganz [NPR], Steve Kiviat, Metallomusikum, and Nia Hightower [DC Music Live]. In addition, here are tons more things to read:
– Marc Fisher and J. Freedom du Lac report on DC’s reaction to Brown’s death yesterday [Washington Post].
– Chris Richard writes about Chuck Brown’s musical impact: deep into Washington and beyond [Washington Post].
– Martin Austermuhle rounds up DC Officials’ reactions to Chuck Brown’s death [DCist].
– Mike Madden rounds up DC reactions to Chuck Brown’s Death [Washington CityPaper].
– Julia Fisher captres U Street’s reactions to Chuck Brown’s Death [Washington CityPaper].
– You can see and hear Chuck Brown play a Tiny Desk Concert at NPR’s DC office in 2010 [NPR].
– Michael Schaffer digs out Chuck Brown’s 1987 song “Go-Go Drug Free”, featuring a guest appearance by then-DC Mayor Marion Barry [Washington CityPaper].
– Washington Post also dug out some old articles: …and Chuck Brown Made It Go-Go by Marc Fisher (8/14/94) and Funky Sounds ‘Bustin’ Loose’ In the District by Michel Marriott (10/5/84).
– Tom Jackman remembers a 2010 Chuck Brown concert at the Lorton Workhouse [Washington Post].
– William Triplett on Go-Go [Washingtonian].
– A round-up of old Washingtonian articles on Chuck Brown.
• Interview: Stephanie Williams talks to Westmain [DC Music Download].
• Interview: This one didn’t pop up in our RSS feed until yesterday (the show was Tuesday night), but it’s a good one: Rick Taylor talks to Richard Davies and Eric Matthews of Cardinal [the Vinyl District].
• Artomatic opens tomorrow! Some information from DC Theatre Scene.
• Local musician news: J Scrilla launches concert series, releases new tape [Washington CityPaper].
• Listen: Str8 Beatz‘s Filtered Joints: A Score for the Lifers [Washington CityPaper].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local video of the day: Fat Trel‘s “Devil We Like”.
• David Malitz on Yo Gotti at U Street Music Hall [Washington Post].
• We Love DC on Spiritualized and Nikki Lane at the 9:30 Club on 5/10.
• Stephen Bradley on Ingrid Michaelson at the 9:30 Club [Washington Times].
• Sophie Gilbert on ten songwriters at the Library of Congress on 5/15 [Washingtonian]. Performers included Terri Nunn (of Berlin), ASCAP president Paul Williams, “On and On” writer Stephen Bishop, Melanie, Motown legen Ray Parker Jr., Irving Burgie (aka Lord Burgess), Tom Whitlock, “I Will Survive” writer Dino Fekaris, Chris Stapleton, Steven Schwartz, and Valerie Simpson, who co-wrote “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” with her late husband Nick Ashford.
• Kara Capelli on Mark Lanegan at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Erin Holmes on Horse Feathers at the Black Cat [Brightest Young Things].
• Marie Formica on M. Ward and Lee Renaldo at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Travis Andrews on the Cranberries at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• ShowlistDC is giving away a pair of tickets to see Hot Chip and Sleigh Bells at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 7/22 and a pair of tickets to see Metric at Strathmore on 9/21 (contest ends today at 7 PM).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Keane‘s Strangeland on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• Capital Bop is giving away four pairs of tickets to see Roy Haynes at Blues Alley, two for Thursday 5/17 and two for Sunday 5/20 (don’t know when this one ends!).
• NEW SceneTrek is giving away tickets to Class Actress at the Rock & Roll Hotel on 5/19 (contest ends Friday 5/18 at 3 PM).
• NEW Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets to Nicki Minaj at DAR Constitution Hall on 7/21 (we assume this one ends Friday 5/18, although they don’t really say).
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Electric Guest‘s Mondo on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 5/23).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/