• Planning Guides: TBD’s guide to local shows this weekend. DC Music Download’s Top 5 Free Concerts in DC. DCist’s This Week in Jazz.
• The saga around BYT‘s “Write a suicide note to win Morrissey tickets” continues. Here’s a summary: BYT posted a contest on Monday asking readers to write suicide notes in order to enter a contest to win tickets to Morrissey’s show at Strathmore. I wrote about this in Tuesday’s Music Notes. The Washington CityPaper picked up the story later that day and got some quotes from BYT managing editor Logan Donaldson. On Tuesday night, BYT quietly changed the contest to say “string together a couple of paragraphs using only Morrissey’s lyrics”; I printed the full text of the new contest and a rant from their Assistant Editor Stephanie Breijo in Wednesday’s Music Notes, and DCist picked up the story, getting an additional quote from Donaldson. THEN, BYT took its contest down entirely (if you click on the contest link now, you’re taken to a login page). The Washington CityPaper reported on that, with an additional statement from Donaldson.
• Ryan Little weighs in on the NPR / David Lowrey / Travis Morrison saga about downloading music [Washington CityPaper].
• Ken Avis on the DC Djangofolies Festival [CapitalBop].
• Journey‘s Neal Schon responds to the accusations that he walked out of Silverdocs [Washington Post]. Apparently, he just doesn’t like Q&A’s and says he never agreed to be on a panel discussion in the first place.
• Local band news: Darkest Hour has posted a 19-second teaser for its “Severed Into Separates” music video [OfficialDarkestHour.com].
• Bryce Harper used Justin Bieber as his walk-up music [Washington Post].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Cigarette, “Hundred Tears” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is the Pietasters, “Stone Feeling”.
• If you’re wondering how Ian Svenonius’s music sounds nowadays, you can stream the new Chain and the Gang album, In Cool Blood [Impose Magazine].
• Listen: Sam Cooper & the Sleepwalkers, New Typerighter Moon EP [DC Music Download].
• Stephen Bradley on Keane at Strathmore [Washington Times].
1 More photos of DC Record Fair [The Vinyl District - Part 2].
• Brightest Young Things on Santigold and Theophilus London at the 9:30 Club.
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to The Mynabirds at the Black Cat on 6/23 (contest ends Friday 6/22 at noon).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to The Great American Festival featuring Eve 6, Ozomatli, and more, at the National Harbor on 6/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to see Everclear, Sugar Ray, the Gin Blossoms, Lit, and Marcy Playground at Wolf Trap on 7/25 (no indication of when this contest ends).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/