Today’s new releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• Shy Glizzy: Law. Reviewed by Ramon Ramirez [Washington CityPaper].
• Planning Guides: Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Nightlife Agenda. Brightest Young Thing’s shows to get pumped for this week.
• Profile: here’s a video profile of CD Cellar [ARLnow].
• Interview: Janet Yaceczko talks to Becky Warren [DC Music Download]. Performing at The Black Squirrel Songwriter and Poet’s Series in Adams Morgan on 6/28.
• Interview: Ross Bonaime talks to Yeasayer [Brightest Young Things].
• As you know, I share all the music-related giveaways I can find down at the bottom of these posts every day. Well, here’s one I’m going to post only once: Brightest Young Things is doing a giveaway for Morrissey at Strathmore on 12/7. The contest is for everyone to write a suicide note, and BYT will pick a winner (they wrote: “Best suicide note wins”). Wow. I get that Morrissey and the Smiths’ music is mopey, and I get that BYT is trying to be cute and edgy, but this is pretty screwed up. It’s not just that it’s a morbid contest (which it is, and Shauna at BYT actually responded to one of the entries by writing, “PLEASE DO NOT GO KILL YOURSELF . XX BYT”). It’s that it makes light of suicide, and anyone who’s lived through a friend’s suicide knows what that’s like. It sucks. It absolutely sucks when a friend or loved one takes his/her own life (full disclosure: my friend Jeff killed himself last month and left a public suicide note on his blog). So maybe BYT thought this was funny or some kind of joke, but guess what: writing pretend suicide notes– even to get free concert tickets– isn’t funny and isn’t a joke. I guess this is just another example of how BYT, despite being one of the biggest entertainment blogs in this area, just doesn’t get it.
ADDITION: In order to prevent encouraging the linkbait nature of this contest, I’m pasting the BYT text below, in italics. Read the text here so you don’t increase their web hits count by clicking on the link above.
To say I/we/BYT/everyone loves Morrissey is probably the biggest understatement ever made on this website. So when I/we/BYT saw Morrissey was coming to STRATHMORE on December 7th, we just knew we had to get in on the ground floor. Tickets go on sale this FRIDAY @ 10AM, so get your itchy trigger finger ready and prepare your tear ducts for defeat. This is going to be a heartbreaker to end all heartbreakers.
Oh, and yes… we’ve got a pair of tickets BEFORE THEY GO ON SALE, ready for your taking. Thank you I.M.P.!
TO WIN: Since there is no longer any truth to there being a light that never goes out (oh, song title puns!), and Morrissey has announced he’ll be retiring in 2014, go on and tell us how you would end it all along side him. Best suicide note wins. Really, you’re going to want to think long and hard about this one.
Winner will be selected by Friday @ 9AM. Use a real email address when you comment and lease don’t commit suicide in the process.
• This has nothing to do with DC, but it was reported in the Post, and it’s random and bizarre, so I had to share: apparently actor Shia LaBeouf is naked in the new Sigur Ros video for “Fjögur Píanó” [Washington Post].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Santigold, “Big Mouth” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s didn’t post a local music video yesterday(!).
• Marky gives his own spin on Gotye‘s “Somebody That I Used To Know” [For the DMV Only].
• Stephen Bradley on Laura Marling at the 9:30 Club [Washington Times].
• Brandon Wu’s photos of Vector Trio at Artomatic [Washington CityPaper].
• Erica Bruce’s photos of Little Richard at the Howard Theatre [Washington CityPaper].
• Elliot Lanes on Barbara Cook at the Kennedy Center on 6/16 [MD Theatre Guide].
• Ross Bonaime on the Beach Boys at Merriweather Post Pavilion [Brightest Young Things].
• The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti at the 9:30 Club on 9/13 (contest ends today at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to The Walkmen at the 9:30 Club on 10/4 (contest ends today at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of the Sufis self-titled album on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Yes‘s Open Your Eyes on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets and a meet-and-greet with Childish Gambino at Pier Six Pavilion in Baltimore on 6/23 (contest ends Wednesday 6/20).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to The Great American Festival featuring Eve 6, Ozomatli, and more, at the National Harbor on 6/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to see Everclear, Sugar Ray, the Gin Blossoms, Lit, and Marcy Playground at Wolf Trap on 7/25 (no indication of when this contest ends).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/