Stuff to read:
• U Street Music Hall is turning two this week! Tittsworth has a look at the club’s anniversary week shows.
• Day 4 of Justin Moyer‘s “Edie Sedgwick goes to SXSW” [Washington CityPaper].
• Chris Porter revisits his musical memories [Express].
• You too can put on an opera. Anne Midgette points you to a few eBay auctions for full opera productions (sets and all), such as Aida, Carmen, and La Traviata [the Washington Post].
• Midgette also covers Peter Russell‘s new job as Artistic Director at Vocal Arts DC. Russell has worked locally at Washington Opera, Wolf Trap Opera, and the Washington Concert Opera.
• Concert preview: Giovanni Russonello and Adam Schatz on Andrew D’Angelo and Victor Provost at the Dunes on 3/31 [Capital Bop].
• Concert guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda. Washington Post’s Going Out Gurus.
• Live reviews: Jenn Bress on Korallreven, Young Magic, and Stout Cortez at the Black Cat [the Vinyl District]. Ayesha Venkataraman on Journopalooza at the Hamilton [Washingtonian] (Not music related! This event benefitted two local charities, Writopia and REACH Incorporated. REACH just got a really nice writeup in the Washington Post last week.) We Love DC on the Kaiser Chiefs at the 9:30 Club. Erica Bruce’s photos of the Black Keys at the Verizon Center [Washington CityPaper].
Today’s New Releases (with local reviews):
• Big K.R.I.T.: 4eva N a Day – at the Fillmore Silver Spring on 3/23. Reviewed by Sarah Godfrey [the Washington Post].
• SoSoLa: Nu World Trash. Reviewed by Bill Friskics-Warren [the Washington Post].
• the Ting Tings: Sounds From Nowheresville – at Rams Head Live on 4/14. Reviewed by Allison Stewart [the Washington Post].
• Shooter Jennings: Family man – this album comes out today but was reviewed last week by David Malitz [Washington Post].
• Dave Barnes: Stories To Tell – at the Rock & Roll Hotel on 3/22.
• Delta Spirit: Delta Spirit – at the 9:30 Club on 3/31.
• the Dropkick Murphys: Going Out In Style: Live at Fenway – at RFK Stadium Grounds on 3/24 as part of Shamrock Fest.
• I See Stars: Digital Renegade – at Sonar on 3/30 (Reckless Fest).
• Impending Doom: Baptized in Filth – at Sonar on 3/20 (Metal Alliance Tour).
• Lucero: Women & Work – at the 9:30 Club on 4/25.
• John Mayall: Big Man Blues – at Wolf Trap on 7/7.
• Say Anything: Anarchy My Dear – at the Black Cat on 4/17.
• Soulfly: Enslaved – at the Ottobar on 4/30.
Stuff to win:
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Loney Dear‘s Hall Music on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of lawn tickets to Sarah McLachlan with the National Philharmonic at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 7/5. (contest ends Wednesday 3/14 at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Red Hot Chili Peppers‘ I’m With You on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Thursday 3/15).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Die Antwoord‘s TEN$ION on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Monday 3/19).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/