Time Off and Feedback Requested
Even people who run concert calendars need a few days off. I’m going off the grid– to a land where my Google Reader doesn’t work (yes, such a place does exist!) until late next week. There will be no Music Notes until then….
….which leads me to this: I’ve been posting these daily Music Notes for six months now (the first Music Notes was on 6 February 2012), and I’m looking for feedback: do people like the feature? I’m thinking about scaling back and not publishing every day– it’s not that I don’t enjoy compiling links, but it’s a huge daily effort. Would you like to see this post every day? Or would once/twice a week be sufficient? Are there certain days (Tuesday’s new releases; Friday’s Weekend Planner) that are helpful/not that useful? Should it just go away completely? Do you like the types of links we round up? Should we change our format? Let me know your thoughts, either by posting a comment here or via email, email@example.com, and stay tuned to see how this roundup changes when I get back next week. Thanks for reading!
• Washingtonian’s Music Picks.
• We Love DC loves weekends.
• DC Music Download’s Weekend Hits.
• Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist.
• ShowlistDC’s list of recently-added and changed shows.
Today – Friday, 10 August
• Interview: Siriam Gopal talks to Frederico Gonzalez Pena [DCist]. At Bohemian Caverns tonight and Saturday.
• Interview: We Love DC talks to Shark Week. Washington CityPaper also writes about the band. At Montserrat House.
• Preview: Lindsay Zoladz on the rally for Pussy Riot outside the Russian Embassy [Washington CityPaper].
• Preview/Interview: Steven Deusner on the Very Best [Washington Post Express]. At the Rock & Roll Hotel. Review of TVB’s MTMTMK by Catherine P Lewis (that’s me!) [Washington Post].
• CD Review: Kasey Chambers, Storybook. Reviewed by Geoffrey Himes [Washington Post]. At the Birchmere.
Monday, 13 August
• CD Review: Joe Walsh, Analog Man. Reviewed by Mike Joyce [Washington Post]. At Wolf Trap.
• CD Review: Kasey Chambers, Storybook. Reviewed by Geoffrey Himes [Washington Post]. At Rams Head Tavern.
Tuesday, 14 August
• DC Music Live has a long feature on independent record stores from the folks at Som Records.
• The writers at ChunkyGlasses.com discuss their thoughts on JEFF the Brotherhood, Hypnotic Nights.
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is the Dismemberment Plan, “Time Bomb”.
• DCist’s music video of the day is Cat Power, “Cherokee”.
• David Hintz on Ms Fridrich, Luray, and the Sweater Set at the Velvet Lounge, 8/8/12 [DC Rock Live].
• Clay Conger on Presto Bando, Southwork, Conveyor, and Drop Electric at the STPP Benefit at the Black Cat, 8/3/12 [DC Music Download].
• We Love DC on Millie Jackson at the Howard Theatre, 8/3/12.
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to Real Estate at the 9:30 Club, 8/12/12 (contest ends today at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Civil Twilight‘s Holy Weather on vinyl (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to Aerosmith and Cheap Trick at Jiffy Lube Live, 8/12/12 (contest ends today at noon).
• NEW DC101 is giving away tickets to the Rockstar UPROAR festival with Shinedown, Godsmack, Staind, Papa Roach, and more. Show is at Jiffy Lube Live on 9/2 (no indication of when this giveaway ends).
• NEW DC101 is giving away tickets to Ben Harper‘s acoustic show at Wolf Trap on 9/4 (contest ends 8/26).
• NEW DC101 is giving away front row tickets to DC101′s Kerfuffle with the Offspring, Sublime, Rome, Garbage, etc., at Jiffy Lube Live on 9/15 (contest ends 9/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).