Today’s New Releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• Planning Guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda. Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Best Events in DC This Week and Nightlife Agenda. DC Music Download’s Weekday Hits. Steve Kiviat’s guide to July Tropical, Blues, Roots, and Rock shows.
• Local Venue News: Baltimore’s Sonar is closed, as of today [Baltimore CityPaper]. The news was first posted officially by Maryland DeathFest on Facebook, who wrote, “Sonar (the home of MDF since 2006) is closing. Why? That’s not important. What is important is that we’ve known about this situation for months, and we were already searching for a new location only a few days after MDF X ended. Currently, we have THREE locations to choose from, all of which would be in Baltimore.” The Baltimore CityPaper wrote an article back in May that the Feds had named Sonar in a pot conspiracy indictment. We’re working to figure out where all of the shows scheduled for Sonar are moving (you can follow our list of Sonar shows here).
• Joe Heim on Woody Guthrie at 100 [Washington Post].
• Marcus J Moore on the Dafnis Prieto Proverb Trio‘s debut album [Washington CityPaper].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Misun, “the Sea” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is RAtheMC, “Champion”.
• Listen/watch: Brandi Carlile stopped by NPR’s DC office to perform a Tiny Desk Concert.
• Listen: the Washington Post’s summer jams playlist.
• Listen: DJ Underdog presents a music mix of the week [DC Music Live].
• Listen: Drop Electric‘s Summer 2012 Demo [DC Music Download].
• Dave McKenna on Coldplay at the Verizon Center, 7/8 [Washington Post].
• Erica Bruce’s photos of These United States and Henry Clay People at the Black Cat [Washington CityPaper].
• We Love DC on Howard Jones at the Howard Theater, 7/5/12.
• Jeb Gavin on Disco Biscuits at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Marie Eff on Sarah McLachlan and the National Philharmonic Orchestra at Merriweather Post Pavilion, 7/5/12 [Brightest Young Things].
• Brightest Young Things on Robyn at the U St Music Hall, 7/7.
• ShowlistDC (that’s us!) is giving away a pair of orchestra tickets to see Wilco and the Lee Ranaldo Band at Wolf Trap on 7/17 (contest ends Thursday 7/12).
• NEW DC Music Download is giving away tickets to the Fillmore’s “Local Rock Series” featuring Bravenoise and Black Dog Prowl, 7/13/12 (contest ends Thursday 7/12 at noon).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/