• Planning guides: Capital Bop’s guide to the DC Jazz Festival. TBD also has a video of the Festival’s Executive Director Sunny Sumter. DC Music Download’s Weekend Hits.
• Attending today’s Chuck Brown Memorial Service? Huffington Post has what you need to know, and DCist also has an overview. Note that Mayor Vince Gray has stated that the service will be closed once 14,500 people are in attendance. More Chuck Brown articles:
– Robert Samuels on Chuck Brown’s legacy for a non-native Washingtonian [Washington Post].
– D.C. Public Library is adding a Chuck Brown collection to its research archives [DCist].
• Remembering Doc Watson:
– Terence McArdle’s obituary [Washington Post].
– Maura Judkis collects videos of Watson [Washington Post].
– A 1988 article by Richard Harrington [Washington Post].
– Smithsonian’s Around the Mall blog has this remembrance with a link to a “Sound Sessions” podcast.
• Arlington may get its own community radio station [ArlNow]. Arlington Independent Media (AIM), which is known for its local cable channel (Comcast channel 69 / Verizon 38), has planned funds to build an audio booth in its Clarendon studios. The station will likely start as internet-only and may later be broadcast on a low-power FM frequency.
• Neale Pearl, the decade-long president/CEO of the Washington Performing Arts Society, announced that he would step down at the end of the ’12-’13 season [Washington Post].
• Preview/video: DC Jazz Loft Series with a video interview with Nasheet Waits [Capital Bop].
• Speaking of Capital Bop, Chris Richards wrote a lengthy article on the jazz blog’s influence [Washington Post], with photos of the two guys behind the blog, Giovanni Russonello and Luke Stewart.
• CD Preview: Maryland djent/metal band Periphery posted this video previewing their upcoming album Periphery II, due out 7/3. The album features guest spots by Dream Theater‘s John Petrucci as well as Wes Hauch and Guthrie Govan.
• Rohan Mahadevan’s Song of the Day is a local one: Big/Bright‘s “French Dude” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s music video of the day: Black Cobain, “Cheers”.
• Stephen Bradley on Selah Sue at the U Street Music Hall [Washington Times].
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to Chappo‘s show tonight at the Rock & Roll hotel (contest ends toay at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away an autographed copy of the Gossip‘s A Joyful Noise on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of The Choice of Weapon on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Friday 6/1).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of 2:54‘s S/T on vinyl (contest ends Tuesday 6/5).
• NEW Scene Trek is giving away a pair of tickets to The Cribs at the Black Cat on 6/7 (contest ends at 3 PM on Wednesday 6/6).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/