• Planning Guides: My final weekend concert preview for TBD. DCist’s This Week in Jazz.
• Local DIY space Suberranean A had its final show last weekend. Ally Schweitzer writes a great article about the space’s history and challenges of putting on shows there [Washington CityPaper].
[Adam] Friedland and [Phil] Cohen didn’t set out to open a DIY venue. After living in the basement for six months, they heard that one of their favorite musicians, Radical Face, was looking to book shows at unconventional spaces. They thought their space could work. They contacted him, and by March 2010, the conceptual glitch-folk artist from Jacksonville, Fla., was playing in their living room. They couldn’t have anticipated the kind of crowd that showed up. “This was kind of a subculture that no one really knew existed,” says Friedland. “There were people that came from Pittsburgh, people that came from South Carolina, North Carolina—” “11-year-old Mormons!” Cohen interjects. They decided to roll with it and keep putting on events. Within a year and a half, the moldy, cacophonous basement had begun to fill a niche that no traditional venue in D.C. could. Beholden to no one, and with no interest in profit, the kids at Sub A could book whatever they wanted, handing 100 percent of the proceeds to the artists. For a year or two—a lifetime for a punk house—Subterranean A was D.C.’s best-curated independent venue.
• the NSO is homeward bound after its South American tour [Washington Post].
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is America Hearts, “Train Tracks” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is Head-Roc, “UFCW Local 400 Anthem”.
• Watch: America Hearts‘s “Heart” [Washington CityPaper].
• Stream the entire new Periphery album, Periphery II [themusic.com.au].
• Erica Bruce’s photos of Fiona Apple at the Warner Theatre, 6/26 [Washington CityPaper].
• Reel Film News’s recap of Demi Lovato and Hot Chelle Rae at Wolf Trap.
• ShowlistDC (yes, that’s us!) is giving away a pair of tickets to see St Vincent and David Byrne at Strathmore on 9/30, before tickets go on sale to the general public (contest ends today at 5 pm).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of the Mynabirds, Generals on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see Iron Maiden at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/30 (contest ends today at noon).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to see Coldplay at the Verizon Center on 7/9 plus Coldplay’s entire discography on CD (contest ends 7/1).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to see the Dirty Heads at Wolf Trap on 7/8, plus a cooler full of Yuengling and passes to a BBQ (no indication of when this contest ends).
• DC101 is giving away tickets to see the NSO performing music from The Legend of Zelda at Wolf Trap on 7/26 (no indication of when this contest ends).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/