Today’s New Releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• Cooly G: Playin’ Me. Reviewed by Sarah Godfrey [Washington Post].
• the Gaslight Anthem: Handwritten. Reviewed by Allison Stewart [Washington Post] and Andrew Leahey [Washington Times].
• Passion Pit: Gossamer. Reviewed by David Malitz [Washington Post] and by Andrew Leahey [Washington Times].
• Planning Guides: ChunkyGlasses.com’s Weekly Show Guide. DC Music Download’s roundup of free things to do in DC music this week. Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Nightlife Agenda.
• Corporate sellout alert: Weezer will be playing at Pentagon City Mall on 8/11 to celebrate the opening of a Microsoft store [DCist].
• Allison Stewart’s Singles File [Washington Post]. Featuring songs by Rick Ross featuring Jay-Z and Dr. Dre, Prata Vetra, Solos, Le1f, and Afghan Whigs.
• Interview/preview: Nancy Dunham on Rufus Wainwright [Washington Examiner]. Tonight at Wolf Trap.
• Marcus J Moore on the Trillectro Festival on 8/11/12 [Washington CityPaper].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is Madura, “From the Pit”.
• DCist’s song of the day is Frank Ocean, “Sweet Life”.
• Reviews of Hot Chip and Sleigh Bells at Merriweather Post Pavilion, 7/22/12: by Megan Buerger [Washington Post] and by Rohan Mahadevan [DCist].
• David Hintz on Andrew Grossman, Annie & the Beekeepers, and John Heart Jackie at the Velvet Lounge, 7/22/12 [DC Rock Live].
• Stephen Bradley on Ana Tijoux at the Black Cat Backstage [Washington Times].
• Mark Hensch on Roger Waters – The Wall Live at the Verizon Center [Washington Times].
• Cecelia Porter on the Wolf Trap Opera Company at the Barns of Wolf Trap on 7/22/12 [Washington Post].
• Jon Pacella on KISS and Motley Crue at Jiffy Lube Live, 7/20/12 [the Vinyl District]. Also reviewed by Brightest Young Things.
• We Love DC on Chromatics at the Rock & Roll Hotel, 7/19/12. Also reviewed by Kara Capelli [Brightest Young Things].
• Jennifer Lohmanns on Deleted Scenes, Spinto Band, and Pree at the Red Palace, 7/21/12 [DC Music Download].
• Erica Bruce’s photos of the Gaslight Anthem and Dave Hause at the U St Music Hall [Washington CityPaper].
• Rachel Eisley on Rebirth Brass Band at the Hamilton [Brightest Young Things].
• Brightest Young Things on Nicki Minaj at DAR Constitution Hall [Brightest Young Things].
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Anywhere‘s self-titled album on vinyl. Winner must have a North America mailing address (contest ends today).
• DC Music Download is giving away tickets to Bunny Gang (featuring Nathan Maxwell of Flogging Molly), Outlaw Nation, and Kill Lincoln at the Rock & Roll Hotel, Sunday 7/29 (contest ends Thursday 7/26 at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Michael Kiwanuka‘s “I’m Getting Ready” 7″. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Friday 7/27).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).