• Washingtonian’s Music Picks
• DCist’s This Week In Jazz
• Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist
• DC Music Download’s Weekend Hits
• We Love DC loves weekends
• TBD on bands playing this weekend who have played DC already this year
• Smithsonian’s Events Around the Mall
Tonight – Friday May 18
• CD Review: Justin Townes Earle: Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now – Reviewed by Mike Joyce [Washington Post]. Perfoming at the Birchmere tonight; at Rams Head Tavern on Sunday.
• CD Review: Astra Via: Folie a Deux – Reviewed by Moira E McLaughlin [Washington Post]. Perfoming at the Black Cat.
• Interview/preview: Marie Gullard on Dallas Brass. Tonight at Strathmore.
Saturday May 19
• CD Review: Last Tide: Lost To Memory – Reviewed by Mark Jenkins [Washington Post]. Perfoming at the Black Cat. Performing with Fire and the Wheel, whose Donny Potter was interviewed by Fuzzy Logic.
• Interview/preview: Sweet Tea Pumpkin Pie talks to Kingsley Flood. Performing at the U Street Music Hall.
• Interview/preview: Chris Richards talks to Baltimore’s Dope Body [Washington Post]. At the Coward Shoe Building (322 Howard St in Baltimore).
• Interview/preview: M.M. Zonoozy talks to Penguin Prison [Brightest Young Things], who are performing at the Rock & Roll Hotel.
Sunday May 20
Monday May 21
• Interview/article: David Malitz on Chuck Prophet [Washington Post]. At the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.
Tuesday May 22
• CD Review: Meshuggah: Koloss – Reviewed by Catherine P Lewis [Washington Post]. Perfoming at the Fillmore Silver Spring.
Wednesday May 23
• CD Review: the Big Sleep: Nature Experiments – Reviewed by Brandon Weigel [Washington Post]. Perfoming at the Rock & Roll Hotel with Maps and Atlases.
• More on Chuck Brown
: We rounded up a lot of links yesterday
, and here are more:
– Benjamin R Freed on the Chuck Brown send-off outside the Howard Theatre on Wednesday night
[DCist]. Marcus J Moore covers the same event, with video
[Washington CityPaper]. And another video
[also Wash CP]. The Howard Theatre wrote up the event (with photos) on its blog
– Martin Austermuhle on Vincent Gray and Marion Barry’s comments about Brown’s upcoming funeral
– David Malitz pulls out a bunch of Chuck Brown articles from the Washington Post archives
. (We linked to some of these yesterday; some are new.)
– The Smithsonian’s blog has a nice article about Chuck Brown’s presence at the Smithsonian
– Hometown Sounds DC has a few Chuck Brown videos
– the Washington Post’s Style Blog has a lengthy list of ways to honor the Godfather of Go-Go
– Maura Judkis lists artists who have sampled Chuck Brown’s music (with tons and tons of sound clips!)
, including Nelly
, and Eve
– the Washington Post’s Editorial Board on Chuck Brown making DC a more joyous place
– Jenna Johnson talks to GWU president Steven Knapp, who played with Chuck Brown at GWU’s alumni weekend last September
– Jennifer Lohmanns collected her favorite Chuck Brown interview videos
[DC Music Download].
– DC Music Live compiles reactions to Chuck Brown’s death on twitter
– Here’s a statement from Brown’s family (and a note about a possible tribute show)
– the Washington CityPaper is looking for photos of you and Chuck Brown
– Mike Madden remembers getting a shout-out at a 2001 Chuck Brown concert
– Marcus J Moore captures artists like Phonte, Raheem DeVaughn, and Tabi Bonney paying tribute to Chuck Brown
• Disco queen Donna Summer passed away yesterday. Chris Richards found this 1978 Washington Post profile on the singer, written by Jacqueline Trescott [Washington Post]. Mark Luckie compiles Summer’s biggest YouTube hits.
• Baltimore-based director John Waters was hitchhiking this week and was picked up by Here We Go Magic [DCist]. Today, Here We Go Magic’s bassist Jen Turner talked to DCist about the experience.
• Headed to Maryland DeathFest? Check out Metal Chris’s thorough Maryland Deathfest X Survival Guide [DCHeavyMetal.com]. Also has a lot of tips and info for anyone headed to Baltimore for a concert, not just MDF.
• Local venue news: The Washington Post’s Going Out Guide takes a peek inside the Birchmere‘s new Flex Stage, which is opening June 1st.
• Local band news: Power metal band Division has a new bassist….their 1997-2005 bassist Dan Plunkett.
• Ryan Little on Numero Group’s reissues of engineer Robert Hosea Williams‘s soul recordings in the 1970s [Washington CityPaper].
• Silo Halo‘s midwestern tour diary, days 6 and 7 [DCist].
• Listen: Arborea stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
• Interview: Ramon Ramirez talks to Nick Waterhouse, who performed last night at 6th & I. [Washington CityPaper].
• CD Review: Orange Goblin: A Eulogy for the Damned – Reviewed by Heavy Uber Alles.
• Metallomusikum continues her countdown to Maryland DeathFest with an interview with Tatsu Mikami of Church of Misery.
• Patrick Foster on M. Ward at the 9:30 Club
• Anne Midgette on Andreas Delfs, Nelson Freire, and the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center [Washington Post].
• We Love DC on R. Ring at DC9 on 5/15.
• Travis Andrews on Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Andy Johnson on Here We Go Magic at the Black Cat [Brightest Young Things].
• SceneTrek is giving away tickets to Class Actress at the Rock & Roll Hotel on 5/19
(contest ends today at 3 PM
• Brightest Young Things is giving away tickets to Nicki Minaj at DAR Constitution Hall on 7/21
(we assume this one ends today, although they don’t really say
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Electric Guest‘s Mondo on vinyl
. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 5/23).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3
(contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16
(contest ends Sunday 6/3).
Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29
(contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28
(contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10
(contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/