Planning guides: DC Music Download’s weekday hits.
• RIP Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys. Chris Richards finds articles about the group from the archives of the Washington Post. In addition, Jonathan Fischer reflects on the group [Washington CityPaper].
• Katherine Boyle on the hip-hop flavor of the 13th DC Jewish Music Festival [Washington Post].
• The latest on Chuck Brown: He’s still in the hospital, but this weekend at a Harlem Renaissance festival in PG County, his daughter KK said, “He’s okay“. [Washington Post].
• Preview/interview: Jess Righthand talks to Terri Lynne Carrington about her album The Mosaic Project, an all-female album [Washington Post]. Carrington performs as part of the Washington Women in Jazz Festival this Saturday at the Kennedy Center. Righthand also previews a few of the festival’s other events.
• Preview: Jazz Loft with a steel pan battle between Jonathan Scales and Victor Provost, plus Rodney Richardson Quartet and Sarah Hughes Quartet [Capital Bop]. Sunday, 5/13 at the Dunes in Columbia Heights.
• Preview: Marie Gullard on the Kennedy Center’s Look Both Ways: Street Arts Across America festival, happening this week [Washington Examiner].
• Interview: Metallomusikum talks to Maryland DeathFest performer Noothgrush.
• Listen: Last Tide‘s new EP is online [Washington CityPaper].
• Listen: DC Music Download’s Local Listening Booth. This week’s edition highlights new releases.
• Several reviews of John Legend and Sharon Jones paying tribute to Marvin Gaye‘s What’s Going On at the Kennedy Center: Mark Jenkins [Washington Post] and Siriam Gopal [DCist].
• Olivia Ung on Bear in Heaven and Doldrums at the Black Cat on 5/1 [the Vinyl District].
• Toni Tileva on Beats Antique at the 9:30 Club on 5/2 [the Vinyl District].
• DeNeen Brown on Chaka Khan at the Howard Theatre on 5/5 [Washington Post].
• Stephanie Williams’s photos of Volta Bureau‘s DJ set at the U Street Music Hall [DC Music Download].
• Robert Battey on the Morgenstern Trio at the Kennedy Center on 5/3 [Washington Post].
• Anne Midgette on UMD Symphony Orchestra at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center [Washington Post].
• Charles T Downey on violinist Stefan Jackiw‘s solo performance at the Kennedy Center’s Terrace Theater [Washington Post].
• Nelson Pressley on Aaron Lazar at the Kennedy Center’s Terrace Theater [Washington Post].
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Lioness‘s The Golden Killer on vinyl . Winner must have a continental US or Canada mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a signed copy of Red Wanting Blue‘s From the Vanishing Point on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 5/8).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Dot Hacker‘s Inhibition on colored vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 5/9).
• NEW DCHeavyMetal.com is giving away a pair of tickets to see Rob Zombie and Megadeth at the Merriweather Post Pavilion on 5/13 (contest ends Friday 5/11 at 5 PM).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/