• Washingtonian’s Music Picks.
• DC Music Download’s Weekend Hits.
• Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist.
• Smithsonian’s events around the mall.
• TBD.com points you to shows from faraway lands.
Tonight – Friday, May 4
• CD Review: Lower Dens: Nootropics. Reviewed by Brandon Weigel [Washington Post]. At the Rock & Roll Hotel.
• CD Review: Justin Jones: Fading Light. Reviewed by Catherine P Lewis (yes, that’s me!) [Washington Post]. At IOTA, tonight and Saturday.
• CD Review: Jeremy Pelt: Soul. Reviewed by Mike Joyce [Washington Post]. At the Bohemian Caverns tonight and Saturday.
• Preview: Marie Gullard on the BSO‘s performance of Shostakovich [Washington Examiner]. At Strathmore.
Saturday, May 5
• DC Music Download’s Cinco de Mayo Survival Guide.
• Preview/Interview: Moira E. McLaughlin talks to Eric Hutchinson [Washington Post]. At the 9:30 Club.
• Interview: We Love DC chats with Electric Guest. At the Rock & Roll Hotel.
• Preview: Light Asylum [All Our Noise]. Also a preview by Ally Schweitzer [Washington CityPaper]. Also, Mark Jenkins reviews their new album, Light Asylum [Washington Post]. At the U St Music Hall.
• CD Review: Ane Brun: It All Starts With One. Reviewed by Mark Jenkins [Washington Post]. Scheduled to appear at the Hamilton – please note that this show has been cancelled.
• Preview: Nancy Dunham on Chaka Khan [Washington Examiner]. Two shows at the Howard Theatre.
• Preview: Metallomusikum on Behemoth. At Rams Head Live in Baltimore.
• Local profile: 20kUnderDC talks to Sockets Records head honcho Sean Peoples.
• Support the local scene: Jazz blog Capital Bop puts together the D.C. Jazz Loft Series during the DC Jazz Fest in early June. They’ve recently launched a Kickstarter project to help defray costs; check out their blog post about it and then head on over to their Kickstarter page to check out the prizes, which include tickets/VIP passes to the festival and a private lesson (in bass clarinet performance or just general jazz appreciation) from Todd Marcus.
• Listen: Nathan Salsburg stopped by NPR’s DC office for a Tiny Desk Concert.
: the Washington Times’ “Heavy Metal Hensch” column is back after an 8-month hiatus with a CD review of Hours of Penance‘s album Sedition.
• We promise we didn’t make this up: There’s gonna be a David Simon Battle of the Bands in New Orleans on 5/11, pitting the cities of Simon’s two HBO series– Baltimore (The Wire) and New Orleans (Treme) against each other [DCist/WTOP].
• We Love DC on fun. at the 9:30 Club.
• NEW Metallomusikum is giving away a pair of tickets to see Behemoth at Rams Head Live in Baltimore on Saturday 5/5 (contest ends today at 5 pm).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of 4onthefloor‘s Lion & Lamb on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Lioness‘s The Golden Killer on vinyl . Winner must have a continental US or Canada mailing address (contest ends Monday 5/7).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a signed copy of Red Wanting Blue‘s From the Vanishing Point on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 5/8).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Dot Hacker‘s Inhibition on colored vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Wednesday 5/9).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/