• Helpful planners: Washingtonian’s Music Picks. TBD’s guide to free shows this weekend. Washington CityPaper’s Jazz Setlist. DCist’s This Week in Hip-Hop. Around the Mall’s events. We Love DC loves weekends.
• CD Review: Catherine Lewis on Sons of Bill‘s Sirens [Washington Post]. Performing tonight at IOTA.
• CD Review: Mark Jenkins on Polica‘s Give You the Ghost [Washington Post]. Performing tonight at the Red Palace.
• Interview + Listening: Lindsay Zoladz talks to Heavy Breathing (a band that includes former members of The Apes) [Washington CityPaper]. Performing Saturday at the Capitol Skyline Hotel.
• Preview: Nancy Dunham on Tom Rush [Washington Examiner]. Performing Saturday at the Birchmere.
• CD Review: Mike Joyce on Joe Louis Walker‘s Hotfire [Washington Post]. Performing Saturday at the State Theatre.
• Preview: Emily Cary on Shuffle. Play. Listen. (a collaboration between pianist Christopher O’Riley and cellist Matt Haimovitz) [Washington Examiner]. Performing Saturday at George Mason University Center for the Arts.
• Interview: Brandon Weigel on Thomas Dolby [Washington Post]. Performing Sunday at the Birchmere.
• CD Review: Jess Righthand on Grace Woodroofe‘s Always Want [Washington Post]. Performing Sunday at the Black Cat.
• CD Review: Dan Miller on the Joy Formidable‘s The Big Roar [Washington Post]. Performing Monday 3/26 at the 9:30 Club.
• Local power metal band A Sound of Thunder has just released a music video for “Muderous Horde” (recommended if you like snakes!). The band’s new album Out of the Darkness comes out next week, and the band is celebrating with a CD release show at Empire in Springfield (formerly Jaxx) on Saturday 3/31.
• The Onion has ended circulation in DC [Washington CityPaper]. No great surprise from us (most of the Onion bins we saw were always empty, with the exception of the ones right outside the Columbia Heights metro station– the paper had clearly been cutting back its distribution this year).
• Erica Bruce’s photos of DC in SXSW [Washington CityPaper].
• Charles T. Downey on NSO and Washington Chorus‘s performance of Dvorak’s “Stabat Mater Dolorosa”, Op. 58, at the Kennedy Center [Washington Post].
• Catherine McCarthy on Justice at the 9:30 Club [DCist].
• We Love DC on Kasabian at the 9:30 Club.
• LiveNation Latino’s Facebook Page has tickets to Franco de Vita at the Fillmore on 3/28. You have to install a Facebook app in order to enter (I didn’t do that, so I don’t know when this contest ends).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a three-month Slacker Premium Subscription (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 7/10 (contest ends today at noon).
• The Fillmore Silver Spring is using Facebook to give away tickets to Jordan Knight on 3/25 (contest ends Saturday 3/24 at noon).
• Darkest Hour is giving away Grindesign art to peopele who “like” this facebook image and page (contest is open until it reaches 1,000 likes).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see DJ Shadow at the FIllmore Silver Spring on 3/27 (contest ends Monday 3/26 at noon).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a pair of tickets to see the Joy Formidable at the 9:30 Club on 3/26 (contest ends Monday 3/26 at noon).
• DCHeavyMetal.com is giving away a pair of tickets to see Alcest, deafheaven, Black Clouds, and Auroboros at DC9 on 3/29 (contest ends Tuesday 3/27 at 5 PM).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a 2-LP set of the Mastodon album The Hunter. Winner must have a North American mailing address. (contest ends Thursday 3/28).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Creed at the Warner Theatre on 4/24 (contest ends Sunday 4/15).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Nickelback at the Verizon Center on 4/30 (contest ends Monday 4/23).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Marilyn Manson at the Fillmore Silver Spring on 5/1 (contest ends Sunday 4/1).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/