• Another tour diary! Here’s day 1 of America Hearts and Olivia Mancini & the Mates‘ West Coast tour [DCist].
• The Washington Post had several pieces about the William Kapell International Piano Competition and Festival which is taking place at the Clarice Smith Center. Anne Midgette wrote an overview and history of the festival and of William Kapell and also shared an excerpt from Leon Fleischer‘s memoir (which she co-authored). Charles Downey also reviewed Santiago Rodriguez‘s performance at the Clarice Smith Center.
• Chris Richards on sampling in hip-hop [Washington Post]. The article starts with a description of Trouble Funk and Tuff City‘s recent case against the Beastie Boys.
• Feature/interview: Chris Richards on Ethiopian jazz fusion band Debo Band [Washington Post].
• Ann Margaret Millspaugh on Chrisstylez Bacon and his gripes about internet access [Listen Local First]. Yes, really.
Here are some interviews that previewed shows that took place over the weekend:
• Steve Kiviat talked with Sierra Leone musician Janka Nabay [Washington CityPaper].
• Gregory Ayers talked to Sam Cooper and the Sleepwalkers [DC Music Download].
• Stephanie Williams talked to lowercase letters [DC Music Download].
• We Love DC interviewed Pilesar.
• Rohan Mahadevan’s song of the day is Friends, “Home” [DCist].
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is These United States, “Water and Wheat”.
• Listen: DMV Producer Gadget drops MF DOOM-themed Mixtape [Washington CityPaper].
• Listen/download: Hometown Sounds DC’s live broadcast for 7/8/12.
• Live listening: Auroboros, Inter Arma, Midnight Eye, and a Sepultura cover band at Asefu’s, 10/27/11 [Charred Resistors].
• Listen: These United States: These United States [Brightest Young Things].
• Mark Jenkins on These United States at the Black Cat [Washington Post].
• Charles T Downey on Santiago Rodriguez at the Clarice Smith Center [Washington Post].
• Stephen Bradley on Goldfinger at the 9:30 Club [Washington Times].
• The Rogers Revue on Crosby Stills & Nash at Wolf Trap.
• Brightest Young Things on the Scissor Sisters and Rye Rye at the 9:30 Club.
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of George Harrison‘s Early Takes Volume 1 on vinyl (contest ends today).
• The Vinyl District is giving away tickets to the Jesus & Mary Chain at the 9:30 Club on 9/9 (contest ends today).
• Noisecreep is giving away a copy of the new Dying Fetus album, Reign Supreme (contest ends today).
• ShowlistDC (that’s us!) is giving away a pair of orchestra tickets to see Wilco and the Lee Ranaldo Band at Wolf Trap on 7/17 (contest ends Thursday 7/12).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see System of a Down with the Deftones at the Verizon Center on 8/7 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Linkin Park and Mutemath at Jiffy Lube Live on 8/11 (contest ends 8/5).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/