• Planning Guides: DC Music Live’s Weekly Roundup. Steve Kiviat’s roundup of International, Roots, R&B, Soul, and Rap events in August.
• Interview: Alexis Hauk talks to singer/songwriter Priska Neely [Washington CityPaper].
• Concert Announcements: Virgin Mobile FreeFest is happening on October 6th [Washington CityPaper].
• A retrospective on Run for Cover, which happened at the Black Cat last weekend [Washington CityPaper].
• Book review: Louis Bayard on Anthony Heilbut‘s The Fan Who Knew Too Much: Aretha Franklin, the Rise of the Soap Opera, Children of the Gospel Church, and Other Meditations [Washington Post]
• Hometown Sounds DC’s local music video of the day is House of Soul, “Push It”.
• DCist’s music video of the day is AU, “OJ”.
• Listen/Download: Hometown Sounds DC’s podcast for 8/5/12.
• Jon Pacella on the Mayhem Festival at Jiffy Lube Live, 7/29/12, featuring Slipknot, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, and more [the Vinyl District].
• Charles T Downey on harpsichordist Arthur Haas at the Hall of Musical Instruments at the National Museum of American History, part of the Westfield Center International Harpsichord Competition [Washington Post].
• Cheryl Demas on A Silent Film and Anchor & Braille at Rams Head Tavern, 7/23/12 [There Goes the Fear].
• David Hintz on Cathy Richardson (of Jefferson Starship), Cyrenic, and Zahra Universe at Empire, 8/3/12 [DC Rock Live].
• Stephen Bradley on the Gaslight Anthem at U Street Music Hall [Washington Times].
• Stephen Bradley on the Wallflowers at Nationals Park for the Nats Live Saturday series [Washington Times].
• Mark Beachy on Idina Menzel at Wolf Trap [MD Theatre Guide].
• Denise A Levien on Happy Together Tour at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Denise A Levien on the NSO and NASA present “The Planets – An HD Odyssey” at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Denise A Levien on Ingrid Michaelson and Rufus Wainwright at Wolf Trap [the Rogers Revue].
• Finch Fulton on Bombay Bicycle Club at the 9:30 Club [Brightest Young Things].
• Brightest Young Things’ photos of Amadou & Mariam at the 9:30 Club.
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Big Tree, Augury on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Tuesday 8/7).
• ShowlistDC (that’s us!) is giving away a pair of tickets to see Lyle Lovett at Wolf Trap on 8/14 (contest ends Thursday 8/9 at 5 PM).
• NEW The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Civil Twilight‘s Holy Weather on vinyl (contest ends Friday, 8/10).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).