Today’s New Releases (with locally-penned reviews)
• Planning Guides: DC Music Download’s Weekday Hits.
• Local band news: Steve Miller, guitarist for local death metal band Loculus will be touring with System Divide this fall! [Facebook]. They’re touring with Epica, Alestorm, and Insomnium; local dates include 10/23 at the Howard Theatre and 11/24 at Baltimore SoundStage.
• Local venue news: the Black Cat‘s new booker is Candace Jones. Washington CityPaper has her bio and DCist has a Q&A (by one of her friends). Jones will be at the club in late Sept/early Oct and will be handling the booking for local bands, supporting acts, and some Backstage shows, while the club’s owner Dante Ferrando will continue booking most of the touring bands.
• RIP jazz singer and journalist Janice Frink Brown [Washington CityPaper].
• Interview: Valerie Paschall talks to N’Digo Rose [DCist].
• Interview: Stephanie Williams talks to Jeff Surak of Sonic Circuits [DC Music Download].
• Tampa is the home of death metal, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel are absent from the list of bands playing the RNC [Washington Post]. Kid Rock wrote Romney’s theme song, “Born Free”, and has a lot in common with Romney [Washington Times].
• Here’s a roundup of Hometown Sounds DC’s local music videos of the day:
– Kindlewood, “This House” (8/27)
– Elikeh, “Madjo” (8/24)
• Podcast: HometownSoundsDC’s Podcast for 8/26/12.
• Black Dog Prowl, Danvilles, and Vinyl Side at the Rock & Roll Hotel, 8/24/12: Review by David Hintz [DC Rock Live].
• D’Angelo at the Verizon Center (opening for Mary J Blige), 8/26/12: Review by Chris Richards [Washington Post].
• Al Green at Wolf Trap, 8/24/12: Review by Chris Richards [Washington Post].
• Hull and Auroboros at the Cellar Door, 8/25/12: Review and photos by Metal Chris [DCHeavyMetal.com].
• Meek Mill (with a surprise appearance by Drake) at the Fillmore Silver Spring, 8/24/12: Review by Sarah Godfrey [Washington Post].
• the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at the 9:30 Club, 8/7/12: Review by Stephen Bradley [Washington Times].
• Presto Bando and the Petticoat Tea Room at the Red Palace, 8/24/12: Review by David Hintz [DC Rock Live].
• the Toadies at the Fillmore Silver Spring, 7/31/12: Review by Stephen Bradley [Washington Times].
• the Unruly and Mirror Kisses at Axum Lounge, 8/25/12: Review by David Hintz [DC Rock Live].
• NEW the Fillmore is giving away tickets to August Burns Red on 8/31.
• Local band Cassandra Syndrome has a contest that includes T-Shirts and tickets to their concerts on 9/1 (with Cybergeist and Death Maschine at the Recher Theatre) and 9/14 (with Kamelot, A Sound of Thunder, and Fallen Martyr at Empire).
• DC101 is giving away front row tickets to DC101′s Kerfuffle with the Offspring, Sublime, Rome, Garbage, etc., at Jiffy Lube Live on 9/15 (contest ends 9/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see Gotye at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 9/30 (no indication of when this contest ends).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/