Wednesdays are typically quiet here in Music Notes land, but there’s a healthy list of articles below that should keep you going all the way through Hump Day….
• Planning Guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda and This Week in Hip-Hop. Washington Post Going Out Guide’s Nightlife Agenda.
• Preview: Megan Buerger on Sound Bites at the 9:30 Club [Washington Post].
• Interview: DC Music Live talks to DJ Diwon.
• Local Download: local metal band Ilsa‘s unreleased song “Deadbeat’s Ballad”, courtesy of A389 Records.
• Local Download: Oddisee‘s “Odd Renditions” [Washington CityPaper].
• Local Download: Logic‘s Young Sinatra: Undeniable [Washington CityPaper].
• Here’s a column by Head-Roc [Washington CityPaper].
• DC soul: Christopher Porter on Numero Group‘s reissue of engineer Robert Jose Williams‘s 1970s recordings, Eccentric Soul: A Red Black Green Production [Express].
• Local venue news: the Atlas Performing Arts Center on H St NE is adding more shows thanks to growing attendance numbers [Washington Post].
• Heavy Uber Alles brings us six heavy tunes every Tuesday.
• Watch: Lucky Dub‘s video for “Easy” [Washington Post].
• What’s on Ruth Bader Ginsburg‘s iPod? the Supreme Court Justice reveals her favorite classical records to Alex Ross at the New Yorker.
• Do you like trombones? Catch 500 trombones performing at Nationals Park on June 1 [Washington Post].
• Megan Petty on Fort Lean at the Black Cat on 5/2 [Fuzzy Logic].
• Megan Petty on White Hills at DC9 on 4/29 [Fuzzy Logic].
• Alan Duckworth on Rusko, Hold On, and Lez Go at Rams Head Live [the Rogers Revue].
• Jeb Gavin on Opeth and Mastodon at the Fillmore Silver Spring on 5/9 [Brightest Young Things]. As seems to be the norm with BYT’s live reviews, this one is full of factual errors, such as the comment that Opeth is both black metal and death metal (actually, Opeth is neither, unless maybe you wanted to say that their growling is reminiscent of death metal) and the comment that “black metal evolved into death metal” (um, what?!). Still, we try to be inclusive with our Music Notes, so we’re including this link here, along with a healthy shaker of salt.
• Ross Bonaime on Star Slinger & The Hood Internet at Sonar [Brightest Young Things].
• Alan Pyke on Esperanza Spalding at the Howard Theatre [Brightest Young Things].
• NEW ShowlistDC is giving away a pair of tickets to see Hot Chip and Sleigh Bells at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 7/22 and a pair of tickets to see Metric at Strathmore on 9/21 (contest ends Thursday 5/17 at 7 PM).
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Keane‘s Strangeland on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends Thursday 5/17).
• NEW Capital Bop is giving away four pairs of tickets to see Roy Haynes at Blues Alley, two for Thursday 5/17 and two for Sunday 5/20 (don’t know when this one ends!).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/