• Planning guides: DCist’s Weekly Music Agenda and This Week in Hip-Hop. BYT’s summer events.
• Most readers of this blog probably aren’t really into opera, but I still urge you to read Anne Midgette’s thoughtful column Peter and the Press [Washington Post], about how Peter Gelb, general manager of the Metropolitan Opera, deals with negative press: namely, bullying radio station WQXR to remove a blog post containing a negative review and pressuring Opera News to stop reviewing the Met. Fascinating food for thought about criticism in the modern era (when internet postings can just disappear on a whim) and censorship in general.
• Heads Up: Robyn has added a second U-Hall DJ show [Washington Post].
• Preserve this: Chris Richards on the 25 recordings being added to the Library of Congress’s National Recording Registry [Washington Post]. This year’s additions include Parliament’s 1975 album Mothership Connection, a collection of news reports from Edward R. Murrow, Leonard Bernstein’s debut performance with the New York Philharmonic, Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love”, and hip-hop Magna Carta “Rapper’s Delight” by Sugarhill Gang.
• Heading to Maryland DeathFest this weekend? Even if you’re not, NPR’s DeathFest Preview will give you plenty of new metal tunes to check out.
• Local listening: Hometown Sounds DC’s local video of the day is Lenorable‘s “Ligeia”.
• Local band news: Remember how we keep telling you that local power metal band Division is adding old members back into its lineup? Well, their recently reinstated vocalist Scott Stewart recently checked in on the band’s blog.
• The show was last night, but you still might be interested in reading an article/interview with Crystal Fighters [DCist].
• Scott Galupo on Lady Antebellum at Merriweather Post Pavilion [Washington Post].
• We Love DC on Sound Bites at the 9:30 Club.
• Kara Capelli on Spirit Animal at the Red Palace [Brightest Young Things].
• Robert Winship on Astra Via at the Black Cat [Brightest Young Things].
• Ross Bonaime on Father John Misty at the Rock & Roll Hotel [Brightest Young Things].
• Jeb Gavin on Drive-By Truckers and Lucinda Williams at Merriweather Post Pavilion [Brightest Young Things].
• The Vinyl District is giving away a copy of Electric Guest‘s Mondo on vinyl. Winner must have a North American mailing address (contest ends today).
• NEW SceneTrek is giving away tickets to Yann Tiersen & Piano Chat at the 9:30 Club on 5/26 (contest ends Friday 5/25 at 3 PM).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to the sold-out Radiohead show at the Verizon Center on 6/3 (contest ends Sunday 5/27).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live on 6/16 (contest ends Sunday 6/3).
• Metal Injection is giving away tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Fest featuring Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/29 (contest ends “randomly” as the concert date approaches).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see 311 and Slightly Stoopid at Jiffy Lube Live on 7/28 (contest ends Sunday 7/22).
• DC101 is giving away a pair of tickets to see OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on 8/10 (contest ends Sunday 7/29).
Add this blog to your RSS feed: http://www.showlistdc.com/more/feed/